Monday, April 5, 2010

Play Ball!



"I can't believe they pay us to play baseball - something we did for free as kids." -- Sparky Anderson



Sheila here for Cincinnati's unofficial holiday, Reds Opening Day. It's one of my all time favorite reasons to live here, having grown up watching the Reds up the road a bit in Sidney, Ohio.

My fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Clayton was such a big Reds fan that she would put a TV in our classroom, so we could watch our team play their Opening Day game. Those were the days of the Big Red Machine, Joe Morgan stealing bases, and Pete Rose's trademark head first slide.

It's been a dream come true for me to be part of the Findlay Market Opening Day parade each year, and I'll be riding today with Rob and Frank. I won't be at the game today, but I'll have it on TV at home while my son naps. Maybe I'll turn the TV toward the deck and watch from my patio chair!

Reds legend Joe Nuxhall said something to me during an Opening Day interview a few years back, and it always sticks with me. The Ole Lefthander talked about the optimism of Opening Day. He said today the Reds begin with a clean slate, and anyone can be a World Series team. Here's hoping this is our year! Play ball!

No comments:

Post a Comment