Friday, September 24, 2010

Adopt - A - Highway

Hat's off to Kentucky.
It's Dan Wells writing. It's my first blog, so be kind. First of all, I hope this note finds you guys well and in good spirits!
Where to begin, well, to me littering is unacceptable behavior.
So, I'm driving home from work on I-71/75...I live in Northern Kentucky and what do I find....a trash FREE freeway! I mean it's REALLY clean, no matter where you look!

Here's what I found out, The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet began the Adopt-A-Highway Program in 1988 to raise environmental awareness and discourage littering. Today, more than 1,600 groups participate in Kentucky's program, cleaning approximately 6,600 miles annually, AND YOU CAN TELL.

Each year, the Transportation Cabinet's highway workers spend approximately 200,000 hours removing litter from Kentucky's roadways, collecting over 96,000 bags of litter. The total yearly cost of litter removal averages $4-5 million.

So hats off to all of you in Kentucky.

Needless to say I thought it was great and it actually made me really proud to call the "Bluegrass" home.

No comments:

Post a Comment