Friday, June 4, 2010

An All Star Among Us

Hi, it's Sheila.
I told you back in March about a local woman who's up for PEOPLE's All Stars Among Us, and now she's one of three finalists. Cincinnati native Tracie Metzger formed the Pink Ribbon Girls breast cancer support group.



Tracie was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was only 30 years old.
She writes: "At the time I had 2 children under the age of 3 and felt like I had to be the only young woman dealing with this. I felt scared, alone and like no one else could relate to all of the things I was feeling and thinking. Luckily for me, I caught my breast cancer early and my prognosis was very good. I went through 6 months of intense chemotherapy, lost all my hair and had a double mastectomy with reconstruction. During that time I longed to connect with other young survivors who were going through all of the things I was."

But at that time, no group offered specific support for younger women battling breast cancer, so Tracie and two other young survivors founded the Pink Ribbon Girls. She says, "Pink Ribbon Girls offers young women support during and after their treatments, an outlet to express fears and concerns and an opportunity to find strength through shared experiences."

Tracie is one of three inspiring women who are nominated to represent the Cincinnati Reds in the All Stars Among Us program. You can vote for her take the field with the Reds on June 11 by logging onto http://www.mlb.com/peopleallstarsamongus/

And if you want to learn more about the Tracie's Pink Ribbon Girls, log onto http://www.pinkribbongirls.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment