Friday, April 6, 2012

Spring "Staycation" Anyone?

Gas prices that are hovering near the $4 mark could keep some of us from straying too far from home this summer.


Good Morning, Dan Wells writing I hope this note finds you well and in good spirits. This morning, I'm thinking high gas prices might work to promote tourism right in our own back yard.

I've never gone to a huge horse racing event.


I live in Kentucky, I know it's home to so many equestrian sports that have a long history...so I'm vowing to make Keeneland my spring "STAYCATION."


Spring horse racing got under way Friday, April 6, at the Keeneland in Lexington, KY.


Here are some quick fun facts.


Archaeological records indicate that horse racing occurred in ancient Babylon, Syria, and Egypt. Both chariot and mounted horse racing were events in the ancient Greek Olympics by 648 BC. In the Roman Empire, chariot and mounted horse racing were major industries. Thoroughbred racing was popular with the aristocrats and royalty of British society, earning it the title "Sport of Kings."


I found this timely (below) information pretty cool.


The Horseplayers Association of North America (HANA) has released their Annual Racetrack Ratings. In 2012, for the fourth consecutive year, Keeneland is the number one rated Thoroughbred racetrack in North America.


"With takeout rates of no higher than 19 percent on any bet, a field size of 9.51 horses per race, and an almost 10 percent increase in handle in 2011, Keeneland came out on top." said HANA President Jeff Platt.


The top five tracks in 2012, are:
#1 Keeneland (last year 1st)
#2 Tampa Bay Downs (last year 3rd)
#3 Gulfstream Park (last year 5th)
#4 Churchill Downs (last year 2nd)
#5 Oaklawn Park (last year 9th).


Louisville Business First reports that the 15 days of Thoroughbred racing will include the $750,000 Toyota Blue Grass race on April 14, a springboard to the Kentucky Derby in May.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't know much about horse racing but I'm willing to learn so here's to my spring STAYCATION.


I hope you too get out and enjoy all the Tri-state has to offer.

Best
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment