Friday, August 17, 2012

What do we do with all those tomatoes?

Other than sliced tomatoes on sandwiches or with mozzarella and basil, what do we do with all those tomatoes?  
Good Friday Morning, Dan Wells writing!  I hope the day is off to a good start. 
Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes!!!  Everywhere there are tomatoes.
Full disclosure: I do not have a garden. However, everyone I work with and live-by has gardens FULL with tomatoes and they are bringing them to work…so now I have a lotta tomatoes.  It’s a good thing and I know I’m not alone. 
So…I’m here to help or at least pass along (what I think is) a good underused tomato recipe.

Tomato Pie


Total Time:
1 hr 15 min
Prep
20 min
Inactive
10 min
Cook
45 min
  • 4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
  • 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onion
  • 1 (9-inch) prebaked deep dish pie shell
  • 1 cup grated mozzarella
  • 1 cup grated cheddar
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • Salt and pepper
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes.
Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in pie shell. Season with salt and pepper. Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together. Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
To serve, cut into slices and serve warm. (I actually like it cold)
If you’re saying...is this really good…I think it is….plus, not that I don't love BLTs but there is a limit.  Right?
Happy Tomato Time
Dan

 





No comments:

Post a Comment