Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Praise for Police



A local husband and father went to work last week, committed to protecting us. This morning, his family is waking up without him.

Sheila here, and I didn't know Sgt. Brian Dulle of the Warren County Sheriff's Department, but I know of his family's sacrifice. This is National Law Enforcement Week.

In 1962, President John F. Kennedy proclaimed May 15th to be National Peace Officers Memorial Day. 162 of America's police officers were killed in the line of duty last year, and this week their lives were remembered in Washington, D.C. Thousands of police officers and the families of fallen law enforcers were there. I was especially touched by the footage of children and wives. How often do you think about the families who sacrifice every day when their husbands, wives, fathers, sons, mothers, and daughters leave for work? Do you think about the meals they eat alone because of a police investigation? Do you think about their fears, knowing as they do that each day on their loved one's job could be the last of his or her life?

I think about it a lot because I used to live with it. My husband Ric is a retired member of the West Virginia State Police. I will never forget the night he was injured on the job, and a State Trooper showed up at the door of my workplace to take me to the hospital. I can't explain how frightening it was to see him standing there. A drunk driver had slammed into Ric's cruiser and destroyed it. It's only by the grace of God that he survived it, and I vividly remember how poignant it was to watch my then two-year-old daughter Katie with her little toy doctor kit, "taking care" of Daddy. We've had friends whose wives and children were not as lucky, dear friends who lost their lives in the line of duty while Ric was a Trooper.

Travis Yates writes on the PoliceOne website, "National Police Week is a time that we should remember the sacrifice but it also a time we should be thankful. Thankful to live where sacrifice is remembered and that sacrifice will forever be engraved on a Wall in our Nation's Capital." 20,000 names are on that wall in Washington, 20,000 brave men and women who sacrificed their lives. And already this year 69 law enforcement officers have done the same, among them Sgt. Brian Dulle. My thanks are not only for the fallen, but also for their families. Abbie Dulle and her children Maddie, Emma and Jackson and dozens of families across America must endure their sacrifice for the rest of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment