Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Habitat for Humanity







Worked my butt off this past Saturday.



Hi everyone. Rob here.


I volunteered to help rehab a house in Walnut Hills on Lincoln Avenue.







Fox19 has teamed up with Habitat for Humanity to build a home for Nicole who works at Christ Hospital. Various employees will be helping out two days a week until fall.


This is the first time that this Habitat group has rehabbed a house. Usually they are all new builds. The volunteers showed up bright and early at 8. The crew leader said we would work until 11:30, then break for lunch and break for good. We only work a half day because of the hot weather. We got a choice. You can work clearing out the basement. (no thanks) Or ripping out the floor on the first or second floor. I picked the second floor thinking it was my best available option. BIG MISTAKE!! Ripping up the floor was a night. Someone got crazy with the nail gun when this floor was put in. It was back breaking hard work pulling up the floor. I have never sweat that much, and I have run the Chicago Marathon which had to be stopped because of the extreme heat. However knowing that I'm helping to build home for a Nicole and her two kids made it all worthwhile.







No comments:

Post a Comment