Thursday, July 12, 2012

Family Roots

Have you ever wondered about your families roots? Well I think I’ve found a new hobby. Over the past week I’ve been doing a lot of online research about my grandparents, great grandparents, etc. Since my family moved most of my life, I can claim many locations as home. So, it wasn’t a big surprise to find out that my ancestors did the exact same thing… move around! (Must be in the blood). I’ve traced my family from California, to Idaho, Oklahoma, Missouri, Iowa, Indian, Ohio, Kentucky and up and down the east coast! Phew. Meanwhile, my husband’s family has very strong roots in Ohio. Which again is ironic since he was born and raised in Lima, while I moved around growing up. One of the really neat things about the websites I’ve stumbled upon are all the original documents I’ve been able see! From my grandparents marriage license in the early 1900s to a land grant signed by President Martin Van Burren given to one of my decedents. But, I think my favorite pictures so far have to be my grandmother’s nursing school photos. She was a nurse in the greater Kansas City area in the 1950s, and I just love this picture of her. It’s really neat what you can find out about your past, given all the resources available now. I encourage you to check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment