Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Lobster Love Story

I stumbled onto a delicious destination last week.
Sheila here.



Katy Morgan and I have been taking rowing lessons out in Newtown with our buddy Pedro Palacios of No Limits Rowing. I am sure I'll blog about that sometime, but today I want to share the amazing little business upon which I stumbled when I was headed to the lake last week.

There was some road construction in Newtown, so our normal route was closed. I am so glad! Because of the detour, I discovered Lobsta Bakes of Maine. Imagine my surprise when I saw a faded little sign in front of a charming little house - it all looked like it was straight out of New England. There's no food I love more than lobster, and really, most seafood in general.


I couldn't resist, and I went inside to explore. I was greeted like I was the next door neighbor by Shauna. She showed me all of the freshly made fare in the refridgerator cases, like Chipotle Smoked Salmon Dip and authentic New England Clam Chowder. Let me tell you something. If you ever eat "chowda" IN New England, you will be hesitant to get it down this way ever again. It's just not the same. Lobsta Bakes' chowder is the real deal. Thick, creamy, full of clams, and sinfully delicious. I also ended up grabbing a homemade Maine blueberry pie and some of the best crab cakes I've ever tasted. It was a Maine feast at my house that night.


Shauna told me all about the business. If you remember the Bounty II seafood shop on the east side, then you know the guy behind the Newtown business. Kevin is the son of a fisherman, a Maine native, who relocated here to Cincinnati. Now his main focus is catering "Lobsta Bakes," New England-style lobster bakes for private parties, corporate events, swim clubs, anniversary celebrations, weddings, and backyard parties. But his little store on Church Street also flies in fresh seafood. It's open every day but Sunday, and he does public lobster bakes. Watch the website for coming events, and you can sign up for emails on what he's stocking in the store. I loved the place! http://www.lobstabakes.com/home/



My family discovered a fun place this past weekend too. My brother Jeff set up a lunch and play date for all of us at Scene75 in Dayton. It's a new indoor entertainment complex right off the interstate, just North of town. Scene75 features a 150 seat restaurant, two bars, a snack bar, an indoor electric go-kart track, these cool spinning bumper cars (pictured), black light mini golf and the biggest inflatable area in Ohio, Big Bad Bounce. It's sort of like a newer, bigger, better and more fun Jillian's - if you remember the business in an old brewery in Covington. I was surprised at how good the food is! It also has tons of games, it's a really fun way to spend a few hours on a rainy or even a too hot day.
http://www.scene75.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment