Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Kentucky Wildcats






I made it down to Rupp Arena over the weekend.

Hello everyone. Rob here.


Even though I have been to UK many times in the past for football games, this was my first trip to Rupp Arena. The men's basketball team was taking on South Carolina.

We arrived in Lexington early afternoon for a 4 o'clock game. The first thing my producer and UK alum told me to do was go buy a blue shirt. I actually bought a shirt for half price, $9 at Hands On Originals. The first thing I noticed about Rupp Arena is that it is huge. Wikipedia says with an official capacity of nearly 24,000, it is the largest arena in the country specifically built for basketball. It opened in 1976, a little more than a year before the death of Adolph Rupp. In the second half the cheerleaders lead fans in the Kentucky cheer, I guess you would call it. It happens during the first time out in the second half. The cheerleader actually spell out K-E-N-T-U-C-K while lying on the hardwood. The "Y" is always someone famous. Magic Johnson, Ashley Judd and Lebron James have served as the "Y" in the past. Saturday it was Tim Masthay. He's the UK alum who is not a punter with Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers. My trip to Rupp was awesome. Hopefully not my last. Oh, by the way UK killed South Carolina. I called and told my friend and South Carolina alum Trey, that his team was getting slammed. Never heard back. One more thing. Try a slice at GoodFella's Pizza. Fantastic. Open until 3AM

No comments:

Post a Comment