Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Alone With The Help



I spent some time this week alone with The Help.

Sheila here.
The Help by Kathryn Stockett is one of my favorite books of all time. (My number one is To Kill A Mockingbird, in case you're wondering.) So I had been looking forward to the movie adaption of the best seller. I was a little worried that it might not be as good as the book, but it was. There were a few elements which the movie left out, but producers didn't change the storyline or the message, so I still give it an A.

IMDB'S description of the plot: "Set in Mississippi during the 1960's, Skeeter is a southern society girl who returns from college determined to become a writer, but turns her friends' lives -- and a Mississippi town -- upside down when she decides to interview the black women who have spent their lives taking care of prominent, white southern families." It's heart wrenching, funny, thought provoking, and deeply moving. I hope Viola Davis, who plays Abilene, is nominated for an Oscar.

Here's another thing that gets an A in my book. Spending some time alone. Don't get me wrong -- I love being with my kids and my husband more than anything. And fun time with girlfriends is not to be missed. I like my time at work too-- lots of friends there. But being alone is a gift.

It's funny to see my daughter Katie being so much like me when it comes to alone time. She could do without it. When I was a teenager, I could too. If I wasn't running to a play practice, going to a football game, or having a girlfriend over to spend the night, I wasn't happy. It was no fun being alone.

In college and early in my adult life, I was much the same. It was all about my gang of friends, most of whom were in radio and TV, then my boyfriend-fiance-husband, Ric, then my baby girl.

Now that I've been a mother and wife for awhile, I realize how important it is to have alone time. And I find that I am pretty good company. Before I started working with Rob I never would've gone to a movie by myself. Now I relish it. I've only done it a few times! Last winter, I couldn't get anyone to go with me to see The King's Speech, so I finally went by myself. It was a total escape! My girlfriend Jessica asked me to go with a group to see The Help awhile back, but then Ric caught a bug, and I got busy......you get the picture. So I found a window Sunday afternoon, and I went by myself. I laughed at the funny scenes, and I cried at the end, and you know what? I felt recharged! And I even read all of the credits because I didn't want to walk out of the movie theater all teary eyed by myself! Perhaps I also wanted to enjoy those last few moments alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment