Monday, September 19, 2011

Finally! BOSTON




I had something exciting happen to me last week.


Hey everyone. Rob here, and I got into the Boston Marathon.




Could not be more excited. I've been trying to get into Boston for years now.



I qualified twice before thinking, it would be no big deal qualifying again. It was. I did qualify for Boston last fall during the Columbus Marathon. However, registration closed in one day and I was shut out. Usually it takes a few months. Disappointed again.




However, next year on April 16th I will join the more than 20,000 other runners for 26.2 miles.



Boston is the Super Bowl of marathons. It is the only U.s. marathon with qualifying time standards.


The course is also tough. Runners dread "Heartbreak Hill" which begins at mile 16. The crowd support will help. Depending on the weather as many as 500,000 people turn out to cheer on the runners. The marathon runs on Patriot's Day a holiday in Boston. The Red Sox play and Wellesley College located at mile 13 cancels classes for the day, so students can cheer on runners.


I think it is going to be a once in a lifetime experience, and will start training soon.


Now, I need to find a hotel room that won't break the bank. The Westin closes to the finish line is charging $799 a night. "Uh No!"









No comments:

Post a Comment