Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Evergreen State

A wide open field, sailboats gliding on sparkling blue water, and mountains from every angle. Sounds like a postcard, but in fact… it was my backyard growing up!




Good morning , and happy Thursday!

Katy here, and today I’m blogging about one of my favorite places, western Washington!
Actually I grew up about two hours north of Seattle on an island in the Puget Sound called Whidbey Island. It’s the longest island in the contiguous United States. (School drilled that one in our heads in our Washington history lesson!) The only way off and on the island is by bridge, or ferry boat. You may have seen Deception Pass bridge before, Hollywood has used it a few times for films set in the Puget Sound. Our family was stationed at NAS Whidbey, in the town of Oak Harbor. It’s there that my dad flew EA-6B Prowlers.



To me, this was an awesome place to grow up. My brother and I loved to play on the beach (not the sandy kind, the rocky, drift wood kind). We’d make forts out of driftwood and rocks, and be down there from low tide to high tide. But one of our favorite things to do was to take ferry rides to Seattle. We’d usually see lions, fish, and sometimes whales swimming around in the Puget Sound. Weather I remember was always a little cool, and the clouds would hang around a lot.
Still, it was an awesome place to grow up, and it’s one of many places I’ll always call home!

No comments:

Post a Comment