Friday, October 28, 2011

My Own Road Problems



Stephanie Woods Here: I’ve been reporting your morning commute here at FOX19 for almost 6 weeks, and I’ve seen my share of road scares. Accidents, construction, and delays…oh my! But this Tuesday, I learned what it’s like to be on the other side of the Artimis camera. I was driving home on I-71 northbound, listening to Phil Collins and planning my afternoon snack, when suddenly my car started to shake. I thought, could it be vibrations from a nearby tractor trailer? An earthquake in Cincinnati? Oh no, my back left tire blew off. As said tire careened across 71, I pulled my shaking, smoking car over on the right shoulder of I-71 at Reading Road. I wasn’t in the best situation. I don’t have AAA, and (embarrassingly) do not know how to change a tire. I was too far from an auto mechanic to drive, and towing my car would’ve cost a pretty penny. But all I could think was, ‘Dear God. I’m on camera 34.’ Thankfully after a few minutes a kind patrol officer took pity on me and pulled up on the shoulder. Officer Paul Grein not only talked me through the situation, but talked me down from the cliff (so to speak). Better yet, he asked a Freeway Service Patrolman to come and change my tire…free of charge! Mr. Brad Flowers arrived in an Artimis courtesy van within minutes. He got to work right away, getting my spare on and (what was left of) my old tire off. I literally could not have gotten out of this mess without Brad and Paul. You’ll likely not be in a good mood if you meet them on the highway, but if you do, you’re in good hands. Although I’ve endured some traffic headaches before, this was my first in Cincinnati. Although I certainly got off light, I now understand just a bit more what all of you go through every morning. Here’s hoping today is a flat tire-free Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment