Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thank You Notes

Good morning, Katy here… This week my goal has been to start my Thank You notes for the wedding. As I writing earlier this week, I realized my hand was cramped after writing ONE note! That got me to thinking… when was the last time that I wrote a note in cursive? It’s been forever! I was amazed that I haven’t hand-written a note in so long, but realize that writing notes is becoming less and less popular. Everything is electronic. Typing and texting is our main form of communication now.
Here’s where I get philosophical… What’s that mean for the future? I was watching a PBS special the other night, where celebrities dug into their family history, learning about their relatives and when they came over to the United States. So much of the research was finding hand-written documents that have been preserved for over a hundred years. What sort of documents will be preserved for the future if they are all on the computer? I guess you could print stuff out, but it takes the personal touch out of the document. A e-signature isn’t the same as your own John Hancock, in my opinion. And what about letters? I love reading old letters and journal entries from my grandparents, parents and even myself! My mom still has a journal that I wrote when I was about 8 years old, documenting our family vacation driving across the county. I also saved a few notes that I passed to my friends during middle school. They are both neat mementos about some of my life experiences. Technology is a great thing, but there are a few things that I’d like to hang onto for my kids someday. Hand-writing notes and journals is one of them. So I think one of my New Year’s resolutions is going to hand-write things more. Better start those cursive exercises again, my writing is a little rusty.

No comments:

Post a Comment