Friday, June 1, 2012

Codicology? Can You Use That In A Sentence ?

Happy Friday friends! Catch any good TV last night? Maybe the Spurs-Thunder Game 3? Perhaps the season finale of Touch?
Well I for one was watching ESPN. The National Spelling Bee, that is.
Now before you tell me that epistemology isn’t exactly a contact sport, the spelling bee has a special place in my heart. My beautiful and brainy sister competed in the Scripps Howard National Spelling Bee in Washington, D.C. when she was in 7th and 8th grade. Not only did she make the finals of the national spelling bee her second year, but won the Delaware state bee two years in a row.
Now, of course I appreciated my sister’s spelling savvy on its own, but I also appreciated the perks of being a Wunderkid’s younger sister. I got two free trips to the Grand Hyatt in downtown D.C.. While my sister was studying, I was hitting the buffet.
What can I say? She got the spelling genes, I got the party genes. See picture below.
I couldn’t have been prouder of my precocious 13-year-old big sister, and still am. She made it to the second round her first year, only getting tripped up by juxtapose. Her second year she mastered all three rounds of the first day, and advanced to the finals! One of the words she got right was altocumulus. Hey Frank, can you spell that? J
Unfortunately Caroline misspelled codicology in the finals. Codicology is the study of books as physical objects, particularly manuscripts written in codex form. Ironically, my sister is a graduate of the Creative Writing masters program at Boston University. When she’s a famous author (and she will be), I’ll get you her autograph J
I don’t know many adults who can spell codicology, let alone a middle schooler! I have so much respect for Caroline, as well as all the kids who compete. Hats off to 14-year-old Snigdha Nandipati who won the bee last night! She correctly spelled guet-apens, a french word that means “honey trap.” Ironic, indeed.
Well I for one am H-A-P-P-Y that it’s Friday! Enjoy your weekend!
- Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment