Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Fall Fun!





I may get a spring in my step in the springtime, but some of my family's best memories are made in the fall.

Hi, it's Sheila.
I took my kids to one of our favorite fall places, Farm Haven in Boone County. The farm has been in the same family for several generations, and it's a nice place for kids to learn about the workings of a farm. We like to celebrate the Halloween season there by taking a hayride, exploring the corn maze, and wandering in the


barn, where you can pet and feed the animals.

If the corn maze is too big for your little ones, they can go it alone in a hay maze. You can see over the top to keep an eye on them. The hayride takes riders out to a pasture, where they can feed ears of corn to the cattle. They come right up to the hay wagon! That scared Katie and Eric just a bit, I think because they were afraid of getting licked by those long tongues! Even so, I think the hayride is Katie's favorite part of our trip.

Eric's favorite part of the day was visiting with a new litter of kittens in the barn. He lovingly picked up each one, and he would have carried them all over the farm if I had let him. He told me later they were his "adorable friends." Children can pet horses, rabbits, and chickens, and feed the sheep and goats.

Farm Haven is on U.S. 42, right by Ryle High School. It's open weekends from 11 a.m. To 7 p.m. through the end of October.



I also spent some time this weekend at Idlewild Park in Burlington with my buddy Dan Wells and his family. Eric and Dan's daughters, Ali and Kate had a play date, and I had some time to catch up with Dan and his wife, Megan. Ali and Eric are both three years old, and they absolutely crack me up. One minute Eric was telling her to "stop touching my freaking Goldfish" crackers, but the next they were climbing and swinging together. Baby Kate, as Eric calls her, tagged along with them, and they particularly liked the sandbox. All three of them carried the sand into a playhouse and used it as food while they played restaurant.

Idlewild Park is one of Dan's favorite parks because it has some great walking trails. Megan and I like the fact that there's a fence all the way around the playground area, so you don't have to worry about your child wandering too far from you.

Lots of happy smiles and good memories for the fall pages of our family album!

No comments:

Post a Comment