Friday, February 24, 2012

Never Too Old To Be A Disney Kid



Happy Friday!
Stephanie Here, If I was grinning a little wider this week, that’s because my big sister Caroline came to visit me last weekend!
Of course, all of my friends here at FOX19 wanted to know what we did. Did we go out in Over-the-Rhine? Did we catch an Oscar-nominated movie? Did we eat at swanky restaurants?
Well, yes to all the above. But our favorite activity was…Disney in Concert by the Cincinnati Pops!
True, my 28-year-old sister and I were the oldest people there without adorable children in tow. However, the concert brought out the kids in us.
As children Caroline and I would rather have gone to Disney World than anywhere else on the planet. We wore our Snow White and Cinderella dresses so often to kindergarten that our mom had to sew patches where we had ripped our skirts! But it seems our tastes have matured: At one point in the concert one singer asked the audience who our favorite Disney princess was. Caroline and I yelled “Belle!” at the same time. What can I say, we’re both avid readers (and a little nerdy).
The concert was really a feast for the senses. While the orchestra played scores from Disney favorites like Aladdin, Little Mermaid, and Mary Poppins, fantastic singers belted out the words and a big screen displayed scenes from the movies. I have to give a hats-off to conductor John Morris Russell. Not only is he a super nice guy, but leads his orchestra with grace and a great sense of humor.
No one seemed to forget that this concert was for the kids, and JMR even led a costume parade for the little ones decked out in their Disney favorites. However, the big kids had fun too. I’d have to say my favorite song was “The Circle of Life” from the Lion King. Singer Andrew Johnson’s performance was unexpectedly powerful, but still gentle enough to warm the little hearts in the audience.
Moral of the story: don’t be afraid to let your inner child out for a night on the town. Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment