Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A day that went well….



Brad here and I’m talking horse racing.

Now, I’ll be the first to admit I know very little about the sport, but I’m learning. I spent all day Saturday at Turfway Park for the 2012 Vinery Spiral Stakes, a day of 12 races including the big one, the Spiral Stakes. For the second year in a row, a horse trained by Graham Motion and owned by Team Valor International won the Spiral Stakes. Went The Day Well won the Kentucky Derby tune up by 3 ½ lengths over runner up Holiday Promise. Last Year’s winner Animal Kingdom went on to win the Kentucky Derby.
I’ve been to all different types of sporting events in my life. Small, big, local, regional, and events on the national stage, but this past visit to Turfway Park was something completely different… First off, let me just say, I was very impressed with my overall experience. The folks at Turfway Park sure do know how to throw a party and host a day of racing. The VIP tent was out of this world. The gourmet food, the beverage stations, televisions all over the place, live music. I wasn’t quite sure where I was, there was so much of everything…Oh wait, there goes another giant hat, that’s right I’m at the horse track.
Just outside the massive tent we could walk right up to the track and watch as the horses flew past. The early races were shorter in distance but as the day went on, the starting gates moved to our portion of the track. Just watching these magnificent thoroughbreds jump out of the gate was so cool.
My predictions didn’t go as well as I had hoped, but overall this is an event and a scene I will be returning to. Oh yeah, there was basketball on Saturday. In case anyone wants a conclusion to my Bracket Blog from the past two weeks, here it is. My bracket is officially busted! I have one Final Four team left and it’s not my champion.

No comments:

Post a Comment