Friday, March 16, 2012

Irish Eyes Are Smilin



Good Friday Morning! I know Rob Williams thinks I spend my weekends with a bottle of Pinot, Sixteen Candles, and my kittycat Benji…but your girl ties one on every now and then.
One of my favorite holidays arrives this weekend…St. Patrick’s Day! Although I’m only an 1/8 Irish…my heritage comes alive on the 17th of March. Trust me if I wouldn’t disappear on the chroma key…I’d be head-to-toe in Kelly green today J
I don’t know about you but I’m trying to squeeze in all the Irish festivities I can this weekend. I’m trying to hit Nicholson’s downtown, Hap’s in Hyde Park, and of course I’ll be at the St. Patty’s Day Parade in my Gaelic finest.
But I’m most looking forward to my good friend Whitney’s party. I think the best holiday memories are made with friends…and sometimes a few festive cocktails make the party all the more memorable J Here are a few of my favorite Irish drink recipes. Enjoy!
Irish Pirate
Recipe courtesy Dan Smith and Steve McDonagh

Ingredients
1 cup whole milk
1 pint green mint chocolate chip ice cream
1 teaspoon pure mint extract
3 tablespoons dark rum
Mint sprigs, for garnish
Directions
Put the milk, ice cream, mint extract and rum into a blender. Blend on high until smooth, about 15 seconds. Pour into 2 chilled glasses and garnish with a sprig of mint.
Original Irish Coffee
Recipe courtesy Barman Dara Cruise, Four Seasons Hotel, Dublin Ireland

Ingredients
1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 jigger Irish whiskey (1 1/2 ounces or 3 tablespoons)
Heavy cream, slightly whipped
Directions
Fill footed mug or a mug with hot water to preheat it, then empty. Pour piping hot coffee into warmed glass until it is about 3/4 full. Add the brown sugar and stir until completely dissolved. Blend in Irish whiskey. Top with a collar of the whipped heavy cream by pouring gently over back of spoon. Serve hot.
Mudslide Milkshake
Recipe courtesy Claire Robinson, 2009
Ingredients
1/2 cup Irish cream liqueur (recommended: Bailey's)
1/4 cup chocolate vodka
1 pint best quality coffee ice cream
1 banana, sliced and frozen
2 tablespoons natural cocoa powder, plus more for sprinkling as garnish
Directions
Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend on high until smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes. Pour into glasses and sprinkle with cocoa powder. Drink up baby!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment