Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Football, Food, & Friends

People ask me all the time what my co-workers are like.
Does Rob really eat all of that food?
Is Frank ever in a bad mood?






Sheila here.
People also want to know if we are really friends.
The short answer is yes. Ric and I had my Fox 19 Morning News friends over to watch the football game Saturday. I don't want to talk about the Bengals' loss. As Rob said, "that game hurt my feelings!"



A few of our friends couldn't make it, but Rob and Stephanie were there, along with Katy, Dan, Brad (and their husband, wife, daughters, and girlfriend). Rob didn't eat as much as you would think. He's training for the Boston marathon. Katy is one of the smartest women I've ever met, and Stephanie is really funny! We are all getting to know her better, which is really fun. Dan is the sweetest dad. You should see him with his girls. Brad has a really cute girlfriend, and she made some amazing Buffalo Chicken Dip.



We had a great time talking about everything BUT work, watching the game, and eating A LOT of food. I made a soup which Rita Heikenfeld prepared on our show years ago. It's always a good dish for having people over, and several of my buddies wanted to recipe, so I thought you'd like to have it too. Enjoy!



RITA HEIKENFELD'S CHILL CHASING VEGETABLE SOUP
1 pound very lean ground chuck or ground turkey
1 generous cup chopped onion
1 tsp garlic
1 jar chunky style pasta sauce - 19-29 oz.
3 cans de-fatted beef broth
1 can chopped tomatoes with chilies
1 bag frozen soup vegetables - 16 oz.
1 box frozen mixed vegetables 10 oz.
1 can drained beans (I like black beans)
1/4 cup bulghur wheat (I substitute barley)


Handful of fresh spinach or other greens
Low fat cheddar or parmesan cheese


Directions:Saute meat with onions and garlic. darin fat. Thaw frozen vegetables. Add remaining ingredients, except for cheese. Bring to a boil. Lower to simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables tenderize. Throw in the greens for the last minute. Garnish with cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment