Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Honky Tonkin New Years









Good Tuesday morning and Happy New Year. Brad here, just back from Nashville Tennessee where I rang in the New Year. It was a first time visit to the city and I can say with confidence I will return. The weekend went too fast but here are some of the highlights.
Friday night it was all about Broadway. If you are familiar with downtown Nashville you know what I mean when I say Broadway and we aren’t talking about a play. Several blocks of bars, restaurants, cowboy boot/hat shops, bright lights and lots of music. I’m not a country music fan, but it was nice to be there and experience it. Live music all the time, a cold beverage and some BBQ, yes I’ll have seconds.
Saturday, it was about exploring. There are multiple universities just outside the downtown area. Vanderbilt, Belmont, Lipscomb to name a few. Vanderbilt’s campus is beautiful, very old buildings, ivy lined sidewalks, tall brick clock towers. The campus is huge, much bigger than I thought the school was. Coincidentally Cincinnati was playing Vanderbilt in the Liberty Bowl on Saturday, so we had to do it...The UC pose of the vandy logo at the football stadium. Oh yeah, UC won 31-24! Then it was off to downtown to check out a new city. Printers Alley, the historic government area, the arts district, a couple stops for a drink and some food, all just so much fun. Then we came across Occupy Nashville. They are still camped out in front of the State Capital Building and directly in front of the War Memorial, where the concert was that we went to.
HERE COME THE MUMMIES!! I know, I talk about these guys all the time, but this is why the trip to Nashville happened. They are from Nashville and the venue was packed! What a great show and countdown to the New Year.
Overall an amazing time, very nice people and a great atmosphere, sunny and 60 degrees all weekend helps too!

No comments:

Post a Comment