Monday, January 30, 2012

Sunday Dinner



Marzullo Here: So this weekend we did not to do much, and sometimes those are the best weekends. One thing we did do which I always find time for, is that we cooked and we ate. On Sunday I had a craving for Lasagna, however I changed it up a bit and I wanted to go with roll ups instead of regular Lasagna. I got the idea from Giada on the Food Network, and I altered the recipe just a bit. I started by making a quick marinara sauce and then I got into the Lasagna. I start my making a bechamel sauce which is a white sauce that goes on the bottom of your baking dish. It is fairly simple, you melt butter in a pan and then head flour and saute it together. Then you add milk, salt, pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg and continue to heat and stir until it becomes thick and set it aside. Then boil your noodles but do not cook them all the way through make them al dente. While the noodles cook steam some fresh spinach to wilt it slightly. Then tear it apart and add it in a bowl with riccota, one egg, Parmesan, romano cheese, and some basil. Stir this fully then had scoops on to each noodle. After you spread it roll them and place them seam down in the baking dish on top of the bechamel sauce. Then after they are in the pan cover with the marinara sauce and top with fresh mozzarella cheese and fresh parsley. Then bake covered for 20 mins and uncovered for a additional 10 mins. You can always add more sauce afterwards but it is a nice twist to traditional lasagna.

No comments:

Post a Comment