Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Oktoberfest Is Here!





Break out your leiderhosen or dirndl! It's time for Germania Oktoberfest!

Sheila here, and sadly, this Saturday I will hand over the mallet used to tap the first keg of the season.







It seems like just yesterday that I was driving everyone crazy, asking them to vote for me to be the Burgermeister for the 40th anniversary of Cincinnati's own Germania Society.
I won, and it was one of the most fun moments of my life when I got to tap that keg with thousands of my friends, some of them authentically German, some just for the weekend!

The Germania Society was founded 40 years ago to establish a German House, a place where Germans and German-Americans could come to meet, as well as a place where visitors could feel comfortable. Ric and I have been going to Germania Park for Oktoberfest most every August since we moved here. Our little Katie was only 5 the first time we enjoyed the festival, and now our four-year-old son loves it too. It's a fantastic family event with rides, great food, and authentic German music, dance and the classic Tug-O-War. And you can hoist a German beer or two as you experience gemutlichkeit.

Prost! I hope to see you there!
http://www.germaniasociety.com/oktoberfest2011/oktoberfest11.html


No comments:

Post a Comment