Thursday, August 18, 2011

Scrumptious Summer!

I have had so much good food around here this summer, I just have to share! Too bad I can't give you a taste through your computer screen!

Sheila here.
Let's start our little tour at the Boone County Farmer's Market in Burlington. Want to eat something just plucked out of the ground that morning? You can do that here - any day of the week! My son Eric and I wandered through the stalls the other day, and I spent almost all of the cash in my wallet!



We found local honey, peaches which rival the ones you find down south, delicious blackberries, and sweet, white corn on the cob. I picked up red, ripe tomatoes from a farmer named Ronnie and tasted the sweetest watermelon I've ever had, grown by his buddy Joe the Melon Man. I think Eric swiped a blackberry or two from every stand we passed. We also spotted enormous zuccini and lots of beautiful flowers and plants. Right now the Boone County Farmer's Market is open 7 days a week from 9 a.m. To 6 a.m. on KY 18 at Camp Ernst Road. You can find out more at: http://boonecountyfarmersmarket.org/pages/




Cobblestone Cafe is not new to folks who live in Fort Thomas, but I just discovered it. I took Katie and Eric to lunch there on a Saturday, and it was hopping. It's a super cute little place off Grand Avenue with a huge menu of homemade soups, sandwiches, wraps and homemade desserts. I absolutely loved the Buffalo Chicken Salad Wrap, and I like their version of a kids meal.








The kid-sized deli sandwich or peanut butter and jelly comes with Goldfish crackers, applesauce, and a drink, and it's amazing what a couple of Skittles decorating the top of a sandwich will do to make a little guy eat up his lunch. Owner Brenda Spade and her daughter Jennifer also bake delicious brownies and homemade cookies. Cobblestone is only open for late breakfast to lunch (10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.) most days, but is open late ('til 7 p.m.) on Tuesday. I hear it's a favorite of former Bengal Cris Collinsworth and current player Jordan Palmer. You can enjoy fresh air on the patio or stay inside and watch the crew hustle. The service is great. You can check the cafe's website for the daily menu and specials before you go. http://www.thecobblestonecafe.net/

And introducing.....my new favorite summer drink! When my girlfriend went out to dinner at Palomino Downtown before the Paul McCartney concert this month, our server recommended the White Sangria. Okay, we're game, so Sharon and I each got one. It was sweet and peachy and light - simply delicious! I'm hooked! Palomino is such a great place for people watching from your perch above Fountain Square. Its pasta dishes and wood-fired pizzas are perennial favorites of mine too. http://www.palomino.com/page/menu/

No comments:

Post a Comment