Wednesday, June 29, 2011

First Flick: Cars 2

Do you remember your first movie? And by that I mean the first one you saw on a big screen.


Sheila here. Mine was The Sound of Music. I saw it in my pj's at the drive-in with my mom and dad, and I didn't stay awake until the end.

My four-year-old son Eric can relate. I took him to his first flick in a movie theatre last Saturday, Cars 2, and he didn't make it to the end!

IMDB describes the sequel to the first Disney Pixar hit: Star race car Lightning McQueen and his pal Mater head overseas to compete in the World Grand Prix race. But the road to the championship becomes rocky as Mater gets caught up in an intriguing adventure of his own: international espionage. I thought it was a great story, sort of like a James Bond movie for kids. Michael Cain is the voice of British spy, Finn McMissile.

But I think it was a bit over Eric's head. There is a wonderful message in the movie about friendship and being a loyal friend no matter what. Mater ends up embarrassing Lightning McQueen at the big race and public appearances in Japan, and that story line is really funny. But I think the espionage plot is for kids who are a little older, maybe seven or so.

Eric's favorite part of our outing were the treats! Very seldom does his mom let him get two treats (Reese's pieces and popcorn)! He liked the big screen very much, and he was into watching the cars racing, but he lost interest about halfway through the movie, mostly because, well, he's four! Ha ha! I would give Cars 2 a thumbs up, but I think we'll wait until next year to try another big screen summer blockbuster movie! In the meantime, the ticket stub is safely tucked in Eric's baby book.

No comments:

Post a Comment