Friday, June 17, 2011

We're buddies!

Good Friday Morning, Dan Wells writing!

Right now "I'm kind of a big deal" that is of course according to my kids. As you can see by this picture, "Barney and I" are buddies.

If you don't know, Barney is the star of an independent children's television show, aimed at children from ages 1-8. The series, which first aired in 1992, yes I said 92'...features the title character Barney, a purple anthropomorphic tyrannosaurus rex who conveys learning through songs and small dance routines with a friendly, optimistic attitude.

Oh, yes my girls love it!

Now...what's crazy about this blog is the time Barney has been in my life. A colleague alerted me to this fact -- Barney, the lovable purple dinosaur is almost 20...at least on TV.

Barney was created in 1987 by Sheryl Leach of Dallas, Texas. She came up with the idea for the program while considering TV shows that she felt would be educational and appeal to her son. Leach then brought together a team who created a series of home videos, Barney and the Backyard Gang, which also starred actress Sandy Duncan in the first three videos. Later, Barney was joined by the characters Baby Bop, B.J., and Riff.

Although the original videos were only a modest success outside of Texas, Barney became a major success only when the character and format were revamped for the television series and were picked up by the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS), debuting as Barney and Friends in 1992

That little history lesson makes me feel old.

That means, when Barney started his TV career, I was in the 7th grade. I don't remember his debut. But he came on my radar a few years later when my younger brother loved "barney." Now it's my kids turn.

Anyway. What a long run and with that said cheers to making kids happy for decades, Barney!

Have a great weekend!
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment