Friday, July 16, 2010

Can't Touch This....


Good morning, Sara Celi here.


We've all heard the talk about the big celebration of the 1990 World Champion Reds at Great American Ballpark tonight, and I wanted to take a moment to share a few reasons why I'll be there.


As I've blogged previously, I love the Reds and I'm happy this season is going to so well for the home team. That alone would get me into the stands. But there's something else---


I'm also happy about tonight's scheduled entertainment.


MC Hammer.


Now to understand why, you have to know a little bit more about me. Back in 1990, I was 8. I remember very well how it felt to live in Cincinnati at that time (at least for me). 1990 was a good year, and it was the tail end of a great time in my childhood. The Bengals were a good team (this was close to the time when they went to the Super Bowl), the Reds won the World Series, my dad's cancer seemed like it was being beaten, I had seen NKOTB in concert at Riverfront Stadium, our family went to Disney World that summer, I had TWO neon Reds baseball caps, and I had an MC Hammer CD.


It was the first CD I ever owned.


On Christmas Day 1990, the big family present was a 6 disk CD changer. It was as wide as a 24 inch TV--made to go right along with the huge home stereo system that my father (a former DJ) loved. This was a big deal because it was before the time when everyone had CD players.


Suddenly, we were ahead of everyone else. No more tapes for us!


My dad gave my mom a Paul McCartney CD--his greatest hits. I got MC Hammer's "Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em". When I opened it up, I remember my dad telling me to be careful and not scratch the disk.


I didn't. We still have it at my mom's house.


So tonight, I'll be at Great American Ballpark with all my fond memories. I might even be wearing one of my neon ball caps. My mom found them the other day in the closet.



1 comment:

  1. You should bring both caps! I'm sure you can find a taker for the other one! :-)

    ReplyDelete