Friday, July 23, 2010

Literally Made for Me

I went out on a fashion limb this month, and did something I’ve never done before. I had a cocktail dress made for me.


Good morning, Sara Celi here.


I’ve seen a couple fashion shows that feature ALK designed dresses this year. Every time I see the gowns, I love them more. Amy Kirchen launched ALK Chic Couture Fashion LLC back in January to quite a lot of buzz here in Cincinnati. She showed at the first annual Cincinnati Fashion Week, and is in the process of getting some of her designs in bridal shops around the area. Amy specializes in cocktail and evening gowns, so it’s a good fit. She's also shown at Charlotte's Fashion Week.

I last saw her designs at Cincy Chic’s Red, Pink and Blue Party in late June, and I decided that night that I would get a dress made for me. I felt this would be a great way to celebrate an anniversary that has come up this month. It’s been exactly two years since I decided to lose the weight for real. I’ve lost and kept off more than 35 pounds for that long. What better way to celebrate that milestone then with a little designer fashion? Plus, I have a few upcoming parties to go to…..

Amy invited me to her house in Milford earlier this month, and she had placed all design samples on a rack. I tried on a few styles, picked out a favorite, and she took my measurements. We also talked about a few modifications like colors and length. It was so much fun, and it took about 30 minutes.

Then, all I had to do was sit back and wait!

Amy called me this week with news that the dress was done. I could hardly wait to catch up with her and get it! I met up with her Thursday afternoon see my design.

And I wasn’t disappointed.

When she pulled it out of the garment bag, I loved it instantly. The dress turned out better then my biggest hopes. Not only was it beautifully sewn, it’s fully lined with interior boning and double-stitched details.

Then I tried it on.

Oh wow, can you tell the difference between a dress designed for you and something off the rack. Every section of this dress was perfect. It’s not too long, or too tight in some places, or too loose.
It’s perfect!

So let’s just say, Amy’s got a new fan of her fashion.

Here’s to Cincinnati fashion designers!


*And if you are wondering about cost, don’t worry. Her custom made designs are more than affordable.

No comments:

Post a Comment