Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I Love My Reds!

I have been a Cincinnati Reds fan for as long as I can remember, and every time I go to a game, the love intensifies.

Sheila here. It's Sunday afternoon. The sun is high in the sky, and the Reds are on the field at Great American Ballpark. Ric and I are right behind home plate, and I'm thinking life can't get any better.
There's something thrilling about sharing your team loyalty with thousands of other people. I remember the first time I ever went to a Reds game. I was in seventh grade, and I got tickets for making the honor roll at Bridgeview Middle School in Sidney, Ohio. My parents bought tickets for the rest of the family, and we drove down to Riverfront Stadium. It was so exciting to see Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Joe Morgan and the other stars of the Big Red Machine in person! Something else which stands out in my memory is the friendliness of the hometown crowd.

That friendliness is still there, from the fans to the staff at Great American Ballpark. Maybe it's because everyone is so happy. How can you not be when you're at a Reds game?

Now instead of heroes like Johnny Bench, we are cheering for Joey Votto, Jay Bruce, Drew Stubbs, and the guys, but the emotion is the same.
This weekend, our Reds had a chance to tie up the game, and I actually got chills when the video on the big screen showed their dramatic last inning comebacks. The ballpark felt electric as the fans started making noise to encourage our team, and everyone went crazy when our guys got on base. Sad to say it wasn't our day, and the Reds lost, but it still was a great day at the ballpark.
Thanks to the bossman for the great seats!

No comments:

Post a Comment