Friday, May 7, 2010

Something for the Moms


"The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new." ~Rajneesh

Sheila here. I wear a lot of hats, from wife, daughter, friend, to news anchor, taxi driver, and life coach, but none is more humbling, fulfilling, or at times, heartbreaking, than being a mother.

Almost any mother can tell you there's no more demanding or rewarding job. But she may find it hard to describe the intensity of the feelings which go along with being a mommy.

Hearing that first cry from her baby fills her with a happiness she's never known. And every cry after that makes her wish she could take away all pain. Watching her child take those first steps, spell his name or climb onto her school bus for the first time fills her with pride, but also with a little heartbreak that her child is growing up so quickly.
A mother gives up sleep, gives up her time, gives up little pieces of herself, but never, ever minds.

Mothers are women whose lives are forever changed, and who change lives in countless ways. No thanks can ever be enough for my mother, my grandmothers, my aunts, and my friends who are mothers, but I say thank you all the same, and I wish them all a very happy Mother's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment