Monday, March 15, 2010

Weather 101

Hi, it's Sheila.
That was a mighty storm which rolled through my neighborhood Friday evening. It was a great opportunity to allay the fears of my two-year old and teach him a little about the weather.

Eric got nervous when the thunder and lightening picked up after dinner. My daughter Katie told him it was just the angels bowling, but then a lightbulb went off in my head, and I said, "I'm pretty sure Eric doesn't know what bowling is!" So she told him it was God playing the drums. He seemed to the like that.



Then the hail started. We watched in the family room as torrents of hail piled up on the deck, and I explained it was caused from the temperature being so much colder in the clouds. Eric wasn't so interested in the reason, but he was fascinated by the pea-sized hail.



When it let up a bit, I scooped up a bowl full and brought it inside. Even Katie was surprised to see that many of the pellets were perfectly round, but Eric liked how cold it was. He told everyone he saw this weekend about the "biiiiiiig storm" at his house.

No comments:

Post a Comment