Monday, March 1, 2010

Yes, Haiti is Alive

Good morning, Sara here.





This weekend, I had the wonderful opportunity to hostess UC's Haiti Alive Benefit, with proceeds going directly to the Restavek Foundation.


If you haven't yet heard of this wonderful charity, please allow me to tell you more.


The Restavek Foundation raises awareness about children who are in virtual child slavery in Haiti. Even before the devastating earthquake, this wonderful organization had been giving a voice to so many children who would not otherwise be heard. It was founded by Jean-Robert Cadet, an amazing man who overcame his own childhood in slavery. Against all odds, he came to the US, got an education, and has now devoted much of his life to helping others. Cadet lives here in Cincinnati, and travels all over the US to tell people about his experiences and the suffering of these kids.


The Haiti Alive Benefit was a joy for me to emcee. Not only did it educate me more on the proud culture and heritage of Haiti, I truly felt excited to see such a worthy organization being supported by our community. Through the night, we heard songs, poetry, and stories about Haiti. A silent auction also took place, as well as performances by the Cincinnati Black Theater Company and several other local musicians.






I left the night so happy and honored to have been a part of it.






I was even more thrilled when I heard this: at least $10,000 was raised for the foundation!











No comments:

Post a Comment